Sunday, January 09, 2011

Happy New Year!

Yeah, I'm about a week late.  Oh well.  Things have been busy - work, life, etc.  Aimee and Max have move out, which makes me so sad, in ways I can't even explain.  It has been an absolute joy to have them here, especially on the heels of Mr. C's passing.  They filled a void for us.

Now, I've taken over Aimee's empty room.  Everything is now in there.  My two wheels, drumcarder, loom, skein winder, niddy noddys, sewing machine, yarn stash, fabric stash.  I could go on and on.  Some day, I'll post photos of my lovely craft room.  I'm very happy with it.  It is so nice to have everything in one place. 

I usually set some goals for myself in the new year.  Fiber goals that is.  Personal goals, I won't go into here.  Though maybe I should.  It might make me more accountable.  Well, in 2011, I would like to
  • knit, crochet more from my every growing library.  I have been so fortunate to have a family that gets my fiber addiction.  Every occasion usually means I get some new books and magazines.  I love that.  They are a great source of inspiration.  But, I seldom knit from them.  I want to knit more from my knitting library.
  • knit using my handspun.  I think I mention this quite a bit.  I love spinning, but find it incredibly difficult to find projects 'worthy' of the handspun.  I have to break this mentality somehow.  2011 will be the year to do it.
  • knit a sweater for my mother.  I have had a fleece artist kit in my stash for some time now.  I love the pattern and the yarn.  I just have to do it.  Christmas 2011 - I hope to have a sweater for mom.
  • knit more for Kev.  Poor Kev.  I never make him anything.  This has to change.  He is such a great supportive partner in everything I do.  And he spends a lot of time outside.  He needs to be warm too.
  • start making and spinning batts.  I love to spin batts.  I have a drum carder.  There is no reason why I should be buying batts.  I could make them easily.  I need to do this more.

Speaking of batts, I was lucky enough to get some of hobbledehoy's batts just before the holidays.   I just love the way it spins up into a thick and thin single.  You can't see the sparklies in this, but there is just enough shimmer in here.  I think I'd like to weave this.  I've been so, so happy with weaving lately.  Its unbelievable how fast weaving goes.  Here is a simple scarf that I wove for Heather B.  Simple yarn, but with the slow colour changes, its very effective.

 One last photo to show you.  Here is a trio of handpun hats that I made for my trio of daughters/stepdaughters.  I love the hats,  I love the girls.  I hope they will wear the hats.   Picking a favorite would be like picking a favorite daughter right?

No comments: