Monday, February 23, 2009

Am I doing it right?



This spinning stuff has been pretty much trial and error. I live in a very isolated place, and there is no way to take a class. So, what I have learned, I've gotten from the two spinning books in my library and the internet. Lately you tube has been a source of inspiration.

I've been gunning to try navajo plying. I like the way it makes the colours run together. But I'm not sure that I'm doing it right. It looks like I am. It feels like I am, but see! I have this little bump where the chain ends and another begins. Someone on craftster suggested maybe it was underspun. Not. It isn't under plied either. Its way over - on both accounts.



In anycase, I'm a process spinner. I'm happy enough with the final product. Those bumps won't be noticeable at all once knit up. Now, what it'll knit up to be, I'm not sure. I do know that I won't be wearing this next to the skin at all. It is so itchy. Someone suggested that it was a low grade fiber. I usually find alpaca so soft and buttery, so its either that or I'm like some kind of reverse rumplestilskin and instead of turning straw into gold, I've managed to turn gold into barbed wire. My spinning techniques could use alot of improvement, but I dont think its me. I'm not blaming the seller either. The dye job was wonderful. The colours are great and they didn't bleed at all. The seller had to have gotten this low grade fiber from somewhere. I wonder are there questions one should ask before purchasing alpaca? I thought it was all created equally, but I guess I have a lot to learn about fibre.


No comments: