Sunday, June 13, 2010

Baby Sweater Jag

We all get on knitting jags.  The Yarn Harlot is going through a leaf thing right now.  I've gone on sock binges before, and even a scarf kick, but I do believe this is the first time I've gotten on a baby sweater jag.  Heather is the only person that I know who is expecting.  I knit the striped placket pullover from a few posts back for her baby to be.  He is set to arrive sometime this summer.  Her due date is early August but I'm doubtful she'll last that long.  Essentially her baby sweater is done.  I'm not sure why I feel the urge to keep knitting baby sweaters other than they are so freakin' cute and fast. The grey one is from a free pattern found here.  I wish I could photograph the garter stitch better.  Maybe I'll try again in the morning in better light.  The yarn is new to me.  Its Berroco's Vintage - which is wool/acrylic blend.  I'm normally a bit of yarn snob especially when it comes to natural fibers.  I'm not a fan of acrylics as a rule, but I must admit to really liking this yarn so far.  I'm not sure how it'll hold up to washing or if it pills or not, but based on feel and how it knits up alone, I really, really like it!  

The second photo is also a free pattern.  I wasn't so happy with this one.  In fact I ended up frogging it.  The pattern called for bulky yarn knit on size 11s.  The resulting fabric was way too open.  I went down several needle sizes to get a fabric that I was happy with but then the pattern was more doll size.  I think I may double up on the bulky yarn on size 11s to see if I get something I'm happy with.  I haven' totally ruled this one out yet.

No comments: